Nonchalantly, Chloe told me last night everyone in her class had a dad except her. We were in the car, so I couldn’t see her face, but I asked her how she knew that. Apparently they have been talking about parents’ names, your address, etc. and her teacher asked her what her father’s name was. Well, she told her she didn’t have one.
(Now of course she has one…but that is for another blog. Maybe. Probably not.)
I’ve told Chloe since she was able to comprehend her friends have a mom and a dad, that she didn’t have one, but she had a grannie, a great-grannie, an aunt, a couple uncles, and so on, who love her very much. She’s 6, so she hasn’t really caught on to how babies are made (Thank Goodness!!), she just thinks once you get married, you have a baby. Which has led to her asking me who I married, and I just say no one. So far, so good. On a side note, it was pretty hilarious when she saw a woman with 4 kids one day, and said, ‘Wow..she got married 4 times!’ Yeah…someday I’ll explain that…
Surprisingly, so far, she hasn’t had too many ‘down’ moments about not having a dad. I asked her if it made her sad that she was the only one in her class, and she said no. She also said she was sure there was someone else in the school who didn’t have one, and that a couple of her friends live with just their mom or just their dad. I’ve got a tough, little cookie.
The teacher proceeded to ask her if she had a ‘special’ male in her life, like someone who picks her up from school (undoubtedly because the Guy picks her up sometimes).
Chloe says, “Yes, I have a Rick” :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Awww cute! "I have a Rick" I love that! She is a tough little cookie, you're doing a GREAT job!
"Yes, I have Rick"
That's about the cutest thing ever.
Love you guys!
Ok. How cute was that! Yes, she has a Rick. Adorable!
It's amazing how resilient they are. I was a single mom raising three of them on my own for over 13 years. And I know it was hard on them sometimes not having a dad around. (there dad took off when my youngest was just a baby...never to be heard from again...well not for 17 years anyway) But they all turned out perfectly wonderful...we found ways to make it work. And they learned to be independant and strong. And my girls learned to make sure to be independant enough that they never have to count on a man to take care of them. And in todays world I guess that's not a bad thing.
Post a Comment