All through school, grade, middle and high, it was ingrained in my brain to get A's. Looking back I realize it wasn't nearly as ingrained in my older sister's and younger brother's brains, but I think they may have gotten a C once or twice. Not me though...I had to get A's. My heart would race and my palms would get sweaty just thinking about getting my report card. No idea why since I kept track of every grade I got and would know if I was close to the dreaded B line.
Fast forward to my loving, little 2nd grader. While I'm definitely not trying to push my crazy A behavior on her already (but, really, what's wrong with getting A's??), I have told her to do her best. She's an excellent speller and has missed maybe one word all of last year. This school year has been no different so far; spelling all the words correctly including the bonus. Go, Princess!
Last night on the way home from the sitter I ask her about last week's spelling test and if she got it back.
P- Yeah, we got it back. I got them all right. Oh, and I colored over the words in purple.
M- What? What do you mean you colored over them in purple?
P- Just with marker. Today. Not during the test.
M- Oh... ok... (not really giving it much thought)
We get home, eat dinner, and I look through her folder. There's the spelling test. And yes, she did outline the words in purple marker. Oh, she got the bonus word right, good! Wait....why does it look like she changed the 100% to a 101%?? What the...... ??!?!?
Princess missed the word 'socks.' No idea how or why, but that doesn't matter. What matters is the little sneak was trying to cover that up and give herself a 101% instead of a 100%. All I had to do was look at her and ask her to explain her test and the tears started flowing. She didn't want me to be mad, but of course I told her, now I'm mad because she was trying to lie, blah, blah, blah, punishment handed down and sent to her room for a half hour.
Then I proceeded to call my mom, tell the story and quietly giggle about my daughter changing a 100% to a 101% because she thought she'd be in trouble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Awww that's cute. Not that she was upset, of course. It's great that she wants to do well in school now, becuase when she gets into middle school, it'll be A LOT easier to stay on top of the homework load. Nae has been great with homework always! Zilla is totally different. It's amazing how different they are. I love it.
*HUGS*
Post a Comment